Whooping Cough, Pertussis can affect people of all ages, but can be very serious, even deadly, for babies Less than a year old. The best way to Protect against pertussis is by getting vaccinated. Whooping cough may begin like a common cold but unlike a cold, the coughing can last for weeks or months. The symptoms of whooping cough may develop within 5 to 20 dongs. It is caused by a bacteria type called Bordetella Pertussis.
Causes of Whooping Cough:
- It is caused by a bacterial infection named: Bordetella pertussis.
- The family of this virus is called: Alcaligenaceae ( it is gram-negative bacteria).
Transmission of Whooping Cough:
Whooping cough spread from Person to Person through Air born droplets when an infected person sneeze and cough.
Symptoms of Whooping Cough:
- Runny Nose
- Coughing Fits
- Watery and Red eyes
- Face turns blue red
- Nasal Congestion
- Whoop Sound as the person tries to breathe in air
Complications of whooping cough in Babies:
- Damage to brain
- Blood vessels damage
Diagnosis of Whooping Cough:
Prevention of whooping cough:
- Avoid contact with people whole have illnesses.
Treatment of Whooping Cough:
Always consult a general physician for the treatment of whooping cough and must follow the doctor’s Instructions.
- Use Antibiotics like Erythromycin clarithromycin, and Azithromycin.