Tetanus Disease, Tetanus is a bacterial disease. Tetanus is a nervous system disease that produces a lethal toxin called tetanospasmin, which affects the brain and spinal cord. Tetanus is also called lockjaw.
Bacteria name: Clostridium tetani when the bacteria enter the body they produce a toxin that causes pain and muscle contractions.
Causes of Tetanus Disease:
Clostridium tetani ( it is a gram-positive rod-shaped bacteria). It often causes Person’s neck and jaw muscles to lock and don’t open the mouth or swallow.
Transmission of Clostridium Tetani:
- Spores are Present in soil which contaminate wounds.
- Contaminated instruments in operation Theatre.
Symptoms of Tetanus disease:
- Painful muscle spasms by stiff, immovable
- Muscles in your jaw
- Rigidity in your neck
- Rigid abdominal muscle
- Airway obstruction due to muscular spasm
- Difficulty in Swallowing
Diagnosis of Tetanus Disease:
- It is based on a Physical examination of the Patient.
- Based on signs and Symptoms.
Treatment of Tetanus Disease:
- Penicillins or metronidazole.
- Tetanus Immuno Globulin.
- Muscles relaxant medicines.
- Respiratory Support (like oxygen).
- The vaccine is available called Tetanus Toxoid.
- Good upbound Care.
- Use of Sterilized instruments for any operation.