Vaginal or Cervical Smear
Vaginal or Cervical Smear, Smear means to mark or stain. It also refers to preparing a slide for certain purposes by obtaining vaginal or cervical fluid and preparing a slide for microscopic examination. Its purpose is to diagnose many diseases. Obtaining material from the cervix and making a smear of it is called a Pap smear.
- Inform the patient about the procedure.
- First, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Put screens on the sides of the bed for a curtain.
- Lay the patient in the dorsal position.
- Cover the patient’s body but part of the valve in the notch and separate the lips of the child with the hand.
- Clean the mouth of the vagina.
- Insert the Vaginal Applicator into the vagina and rotate it once or twice.
- Take out the instrument and rub it over the slide to prepare a smear.
- Allow the smear to air dry.
- Place another slide on top of this slide but keep both slides open by placing a matchbox on one edge and wrapping it in the paper.
- The procedure for preparing a smear by obtaining material from the cervix is similar.
- In this, only the device is brought to the mouth of the uterus and there the cervical fluid is obtained using the device.