Ketone Bodies are produced by the liver and used peripherally as an energy source when glucose is not readily available. The two main ketone bodies are acetoacetate (AcAc) and 3-beta-hydroxybutyrate (3HB), while acetone is the third, and least abundant, ketone body.
ketone bodies test is the severe Uncontrolled Diabetes mellitus starvation:
Rothera’s test, Gerhardt’s test: Acetone, Acetoacetate, Acetoacetate:
- Take 5ml of Urine, and Satucate it with ammonium sulfate.
- Add a drop of freshly prepared Sodium nitroprusside and Mix.
- Add 3 ml of strong ammonia carefully by the side of the tube.
- Acetone Acetoacetate Present:
- Take 3ml of Urine Add ferric chloride dropwise
- No Portwine color (red color)
- Acetoacetate is absent