Chemical Waste, most chemical wastes must be disposed of through the EHS Hazardous Waste Program. Hazardous waste removed from your laboratory, the following store chemical wastes in appropriate containers Plastic bottles.
- Mercury-containing items.
- Used coil types.
- Things contaminated by chemicals, Like batteries.
- Used and unused surplus reagents of chemicals Solvents including water-based.
Types of chemical waste:
There are many types of chemical waste it may include solids, liquids, or gases containing or contaminated with any of the following, like (Acetone, Alcohols, and acetonitrile) flammable Solvents leachate toxic materials (heavy metals, Pesticides).
Name of chemicals in the laboratory:
Some are flammable liquids.
- Ether Xylene, toluene
- Ethyl acetate
- Hexane, Pyridine, Pyrimidine Nitric acid, sodium hydroxide, Acetic acid
- Con HCL etc.
Chemical waste Compatibility (1)
- Incompatible chemical waste not be mixed or stored together.
- If it must be stored in the same area separated by secondary containment.
- The container must be compatible with the waste.
- Mineral acids- Plastic.
- Bases Plastic.
- Oxidizers – Glass.
- Organics (include Acetic acid)- Glass.
Chemical waste computability (2)
Take Special care
- Reacts with organics heat and gas.
- Be sure the container is rinsed thoroughly.
Perchloric acid, Organic Peroxide:
- Highly reactive with organics and organic material (wood) may react with metals.
- Dissolves glass containers.
Segregate Chemical waste:
- Do not mix solids and liquids.
- Halogenated and non-halogenated chemicals.
- Proper segregation = good chemical hygiene + safe work Place environment.
- Chemicals do not store near each other.
- Acids and base
- Organics and acids
- Powered or reactive metals
- Mercury or silver and ammonium-containing Compounds
Classification of dangerous goods and Substances:
- Class 1 Explosives
- Class 2 Gases
- Class 3 flammable liquids
- Class 4 flammable solids
- Class 5 Oxidizing and Organic Peroxides
- Class 6 Radioactive Substance
- Class 7 Corrosives
- Class 8 other miscellaneous Substances