Mumps Infection is an Acute Viral infection or disease. Mumps is a contagious type of disease. The disease of Mumps mostly affects children. Infrequently complications in adults with mumps may experience hearing loss and reduced fertility, meningitis, encephalitis, and swelling of the breast, ovaries, and testes. If the woman is infected with mumps in the early stages of pregnancy, it may cause miscarriage.
Causes of Mumps:
Paramyxovirus is a virus it is caused by mumps. Paramyxovirus is related to the family of the Rubella virus.
Symptoms of Mumps:
It is the main symptom of
- Swollen Jaw (Parotitis)
- Encephalitis (in adults rarely)
- Tender and puffy cheeks
- Meningitis (in adults rarely)
- Swelling in the breast, and ovaries (in females)
- Swelling of testes (on male)
Diagnosis of Mumps:
Buccal swab and Urine for RT-PCR Test. Diagnosis of mumps is mostly based on the Physical appearance of swollen salivary glands on jaws. To find out IgM blood Test by ELISA method. Buccal Swab for culture.
Transmission of Mumps:
- Mumps virus spread from person to person through Air.
- The Mumps virus spread when an infected person sneezes and coughs through contaminated saliva.
Prevention of Mumps:
Use of MMR Vaccine in childhood (Measles mumps Rubella).
Treatment of Mumps:
- Using Paracetamol or Ibuprofen for fever.
- Use and drink plenty of fluid.
- Complete bed rest for 1 week.
- Avoid citrusy foods.
- Use soft foods.