Stool Occult Blood Test
Stool Occult Blood Test test also called (FOBT, or SOBT). FOBT looks at a sample of your stool (Poop) to check for Blood. Occult blood means that You Can’t see it with the naked eye. And fecal means that it is in your stool Blood in your stool means there is bleeding in the digestive tract Fecal occult blood is detected by chemical tests and Microscopic Analysis.
Causes of (FOBT):
The bleeding may caused by a variety of Conditions, including:
Abnormal growths on the lining of the colon or rectum.
Swollen veins in your anus or rectum.
Condition with small pouches inside wall of colon.
Sores in the lining of the digestive tract.
Inflammatory Bowl disease.
Type of Cancer that starts in colon or rectum It is one of the most common types of Cancer in the United states.
Others Name OF FOBT:
- Stool occult Test,
- Occult blood test,
- Hemoccult test,
- Guaiac Smear test,
- G FOBT,
- Immunochemical FOBT, IFOBT; FIT,
Why do I need FOBT:
If you have symptoms of a a condition that could involve bleeding in your digestive tract. In certain cases, this test is used to find out the cause of anemia ant it can help tell the difference between irritable bowl Syndrome (IBS) which usually doesn’t cause bleeding, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), which is likely to cause bleeding, most medical groups recommend that
you start screening tests at age 45 or 50 if you have an average risk of developing colorectal cancer. They recommend regular testing until at least age 75 A DNA stool test. Colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy. CT Colonography also called “virtual Colonoscopy.
How to Performed the Test:
Stool Sample needed.
Fecal Occult Blood Rapid test Cassettes,
Guaiac Fecal Occult Blood test kit,
Fecal Occult Blood Rapid Cassette:
- In this assay fecal occult blood (FOB) is detected with the aid of specific antibodies against hemoglobin.
- After the addition of the sample (feces diluted in buffer) a color labelled antibody specifically binds to hemoglobin.
- If it is present in the sample.
- When this complex migrates upward the membrane by capillary action, it is captured with the aid of another.
- Specific antibody at the test result line region of the test.
- A red test result line is generated.
Procedure OF Guaiac Fecal Occult Blood Test:
- In this test card is used which is labelled with guaiacum reagent.
- Patient stool is rubbed with the area where guaiacum reagent is present.
- Of the blood is present in stool it will provide pseudo peroxidase activity and blue color will appear in the card.
- Blue Color will mean that blood is present in the patient’s stool.
You com bay gFOBT and FIT stool collection kits without a prescription. But some test can be done completely at home for quick result, Buy your own test, ask your provides which one is best for you.