Fibrinogen Test is protein that is involved in forming blood clots in the body. It is made in liver and forms fibrin. Fibrin is the main protein in a blood clot that helps stop bleeding and heal wounds.
How The Test Is Performed:
Material y Requirement: Specimen, Plasma Sodium Citrate, Thrombin reagent, stop watch, plasma, Syndrome factor-1.
On the STA- Compact, the fibrinogen concentration in plasma is determined “quantitatively by the clauses clotting method. This test method involves measuring the rate of fibrinogen is fibrin conversion in diluted sample under the influence of excess thrombin.
Causes Of Abnormal Bleeding:
- Excessive bruising
- Excessive bleeding from the gums
- Frequent nose bleeds
- Acute mayocardial infarction
- Hemorrhage of the gastrointestinal tract
- Blood in the Urine
- Blood in the Stool
- Rupture of the Spleen
Fibrinogen is a soluble plasma glycoprotein synthesized in the Liver.
Function of Fibrinogen:
Thrombin converts fibrinogen to fibrin, which then clots blood as it combine with platelets.
Against injury by migrating into intravascular spaces to confine disease purpose.
Biomarker of inflammation:
When elevated, indicates the presence of inflammation (IL6, TNF a) and risk for Cardiovascular disorders.
Deficiency of fibrinogens:
It is minor trauma may result in prolonged and some time Lethal hemorrhage.
ESR: Is greatly reduced.
- Plasma protein Synthesized by the Liver
- It is essential to clot formation
- Fibrinogen (fbg)
- Acute phase protein (elevated after an inflammatory stimulus
- Decreased in DIC, Liver diseases
Types of Fibrinogen deficiency:
- Afibrinogenemia total absence
- Hypo fibrinogenemia abnormally low level
- Dys fibrinogenemia normal level, but Protein doesn’t function
Dilute patient’s plasma at 1/10 dilution Leg 180.μl buffer + 20 μl plasma, Add 100 μl of thrombin reagent to the diluted plasma and record clotting time in seconds. Get the fibrinogen concentration by the mean value of the clot time from Calibration Curve.
|Dilution||FBG (mg/dl)||CT (sec)|
Result of Fibrinogen:
- Normal value 2-4 g/liter
- Abnormal results higher / lower than ref rang
- Excessive fibrinogen use
- At quired fibrinogen deficiency
- Abnromal fibrinolysis