ANA Antinuclear Antibody:
ANA Antinuclear Antibody a blood test that detect the antinuclear antibody in your blood. Antibody’s are proteins. Your immune system make antibody’s to help you fight against viruses, bacteria and other germs. But ANA antinuclear antibody attack your own body, cells and tissue. ANA also called ANA antinuclear or FANA (fluorescent antinuclear antibody) because it target the nucleus, center of the cell. Autoantibodies can damage your muscles, joint, skin, and other part of your body. And this a sign of autoimmune dieses. Such as,
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Sjogren’s syndrome
- Systemic lupus erythematosus, the most common type of lupus
Is This Have Other Name:
ANA, Antinuclear Antibody panel, FANA, fluorescent antinuclear antibody.
How The Test Performed:
A Blood Sample Needed.
Why The Test Performed:
ANA antinuclear in various situation. ANA test help you to find or diagnose autoimmune disorder. such as
- Rheumatoid Arthritis, a condition that affect your joint causing pain and swelling.
- Scleroderma, a dieses that affect your skin, and blood vessels.
- Sjogren’s Syndrome, an very rare dieses that can affect the glands, may causes weakness and fatigue.
- Addison Dieses, Addison dieses may affect adrenal glands, causes weakness and fatigue.
- Autoimmune Hepatitis, cause swelling of liver or liver cirrhosis.
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, (SLE) a most common type of lupus, Lupus is a chronic and long lasting dieses that may affect many part of your body.
Why Need This Test:
Your doctor order an ANA test if you have symptoms such as,
- Joint and muscles pain
- Stiffness or swelling
- hair loss
- Red rash on the cheeks,
- Change of skin colour
What Do The Result Means:
An ANA test result cannot diagnose a specific dieses. ANA result shown reported in two parts. Titer and pattern.
- Titres are reported in ratios, most often 1:40, 1:80, 1:160, 1:320, and 1:640. Some, but not all labs will report a titre above 1:160 as positive.
- Patterns that are reported include, homogeneous, speckled, centromere, and others.
A Negative Blood test of ANA antinuclear antibody result means that ANA not found in your blood, And you have not an autoimmune dieses. And
A Positive Test of ANA that means you have an autoimmune dieses, may sign of
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, (SLE)
- Different type of autoimmune disorder
- Viral Infection
A positive ANA is not enough to make a dieses, your doctor advised more test to diagnose.
Other disorders besides SLE where positive ANA results strongly suggest a diagnosis include:
- Systemic sclerosis (scleroderma)
- Sjögren syndrome (primary)
- Myositis (inflammatory muscle disease)
- Drug-induced lupus erythematosus
Other common diseases that ANA testing can help diagnose include:
- Mixed connective tissue disease
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- EB virus
- Hepatitis C
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Thyroid disease